Monday, May 16, 2011

Banana Bread with Cinnamon Crumble Topping



Bananas are a staple around our household, so there are always bananas at varying stages of ripeness in the fruit bowl, which means we eat banana bread frequently.  I usually stick to my favorite recipe, but I was looking through some Bon Appetit recipes that I had saved, and came across this new one.   We all loved it, especially the sugary/cinnamon top.


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2-3 medium)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup water
2 1/2 tablespoons (packed) brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350.  Butter and flour 9x5x3-inch bread pan.  Mix bananas, eggs, oil, honey and water in large mixing bowl.  Stir in flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda and salt.  Mix until combined.  Pour batter into pan.  Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and brown sugar in a small bowl.  Sprinkle this evenly over the batter.

Bake bread until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.  Cool bread in pan for 30 minutes, then carefully remove bread from pan, trying not to shake off the topping.

*Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit, September 2008

3 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! I can't believe how many banana bread recipes there are out there - but they really all do taste different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we made it last night :) so yummy ! thanks for sharing Lauren

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!