Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Pesto & Grilled Chicken Pizza



My basil started taking over the window box herb garden, so I decided to put it to good use and make some pesto.  Did you know that you can make pesto with nuts other than pine nuts?   I don't remember where I read this, but somewhere in my culinary research I stumbled upon this remarkable fact.  I used almonds as a substitute, but you can also use walnuts or pecans.

Here's the recipe for the pesto:

2 cups (packed) fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1 garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a food processor combine the basil, almonds, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper until finely chopped.

I put the garlic clove in whole and it chopped up quite well.
With the processor still running, gradually add the oil until the pesto is smooth and thick.

It will look something like this.
 Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan cheese.  Season with more salt, if needed.   (Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days). This recipe makes about 1 cup.

Recipe adapted from Everyday Italian, by Giada De Laurentis




For the Pizza:
Roll out one unbaked pizza dough disc.  Spread desired amount of pesto on top (I used about 1/2 cup).



Place sliced grilled chicken, from 1 grilled chicken breast, evenly over pesto.  Sprinkle with 2 cups mozzarella cheese.

Bake in a 450F oven for 15-18 minutes, until cheese is brown and crust is cooked.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks so delicious! If you have any basil to spare, can you pick some before you leave and bring me some?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good!! I've been wanting to try my hand at making some pesto. Good to know I don't have to use pine nuts. And I really want to make this pizza! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum. I want to try this. I love pesto and we love making our own pizza!!! thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!