Monday, May 2, 2011

T-Shirt Refashion

Yesterday I finally tackled my first t-shirt refashion for myself.  I found this tutorial a few months ago, at Tea Rose Home (if you like fashion knock-off tutorials, this is definitely the blog to read) and bookmarked it to try one day.  Since then, I've been hunting for two identical t-shirts in the clearance racks at Target.  Well, on Saturday, my gracious husband allowed me to go out by myself for the afternoon--5 hours ALONE!  Saying it was wonderful  just might be an understatement.  I've had a gift card to Old Navy for awhile, so I headed there and found these two shirts for $2.50 a piece.


 I figured $5 was a good price to pay for this project, since I wouldn't be out too much if it ended up being a bust.

I altered the original tutorial slightly, because I didn't like the neckline of the ones I bought, and I didn't want quite as many ruffles.  Plus, my graphics were a bit wider than hers, so I needed longer ruffles down the center of the shirt to cover up all of the wording.  I'm thrilled with how it turned out, and yes, I am wearing it today.



As you shop for clothing, find your favorite pieces and inspect them in the store, trying to see how they could be replicated.  Then, keep your eye out for clearance clothing items and try to think about how you could turn those items into your favorites.  There are many great tutorials out there on how to do this, and as you look through them you'll probably be inspired to try your own!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this is amazing!!! That shirt is sooo cute and in style! I can't believe you made it! And out of a Christmas t-shirt! Bring one to the beach and wear it so I can see it in real life :)

    p.s. this might be my favorite post to-date!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Cute Lauren! Thanks for the idea!!! Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa!!! so impressed! looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, your shirt looks great! What a creative way to use those t-shirts, turning them into a fashionable shirt that's just what you wanted! I love it and I agree with Sherri....my favorite post!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!