Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Brown Rice & Green Bean Almondine



Last week I cooked brown rice for the first time and I loved it!  It's a healthier recipe, so if you're looking for a mouth-watering, fattening rice casserole, this is not for you.  However, the flavors blended well, especially with the crunch of the almonds, and it I think this dish is a wonderful accompaniment to grilled meat.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules, or 1 beef bouillon cube
1 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice
1 tablespoon margarine (or butter!)
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup chopped onion (1/2 large onion)
1 small red bell pepper chopped (I used a green one this time, but red would be better for color and flavor)
1 package (9-10 oz.) frozen French-style green beans, thawed
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper


1. Bring water to a boil, add bouillon and stir until dissolved.  Add rice, stir once; reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer for 45 to 50 minutes, or until rice is tender but firm and water is absorbed.  (You will have about 3 cups cooked rice).  Remove from heat and set aside.

2. Melt margarine or butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add almonds and saute until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.

3. Add onion and red pepper and cook for 2 minutes, or until just tender. Add rice, green beans, salt and pepper.  Cook, tossing gently, until heated through, 4 to 5 minutes.  Serve immediately.

Recipe from Eating Thin for Life, by Anne M. Fltecher

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! I've never made brown rice before but will have to try it. I made yellow rice for the first time last night and it was so good! I don't know if it's healthy though...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!