Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Brownies, NOT from a Box


The best brownies I've ever eaten, by far, are Baker's One Bowl Brownies.  You can easily whip them up in about five minutes, and they're done after baking for 30.  So, get rid of those brownie mixes and just keep some unsweetened Baker's chocolate in your pantry from now on.  Trust me, you won't go back to the box.

Recipe:
4 squares unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cup butter or margarine (1 1/2 sticks)
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour

Microwave the chocolate and butter in a large bowl for about 2 minutes.  Remove and stir until the chocolate is melted (this may take a bit more time depending on your microwave).  Stir in the sugar.  Add the eggs and vanilla and combine.  Stir in the flour and mix well.  Pour into a greased 9x13-inch pan.  Bake at 350F for 28-32 minutes.  Serve with vanilla ice cream or a glass of milk (or both).

Recipe adapted from box of Baker's unsweetened chocolate

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I'll have to try these. I must admit I'm skeptical. I've thought for a while that boxed brownies might be the one thing that truly is better not from scratch. I'll have to let you know what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, you keep making me crave everything you put up here! I think I'm going to have to go whip me up a batch now. This is not good for my hips. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an easy brownie recipe! I will have to try it. I always make the mix brownies but if these are the best I want these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, thanks for the trip back in time...I used to make these for the boys all the time...from the recipe on the inside of the orange box! I have lately had to admit that "for the boys" sometimes meant "for me"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using this recipe for 60+ years. The only difference is there was no such appliance as a microwave when I started making them so the chocolate and butter were melted on top of the stove and allowed to cool before proceeding. I might even use the microwave now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the only brownie recipe my mom has ever used! They are delicious brownies and always taste like home to me. I use an adaptation of this recipe when I bake, but I agree- homemade brownies are so much better than the box!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!