Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chicken Breasts with Tomato, Basil, and Roasted-Corn Relish




Our garden is doing beautifully and I love the fact that I can walk outside, pick something from the garden, and bring it in to eat it for dinner.  I was able to use tomatoes and basil from our garden for this dish.  This is an easy one to make, but it looks like it took a long time--a perfect combination in my opinion!  And to top it off, it's quite healthy.

Recipe:
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 ears fresh corn
3 medium tomatoes
1 green onion stem
12 basil leaves, approximately
4 large skinless boneless chicken breasts
flour
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

For the Relish:
Preheat oven to 375F.  Brush rimmed baking sheet with 1 teaspoon oil.  Using a sharp knife, cut off the kernels from the corn into a small bowl.


Toss corn with 2 teaspoons oil and place on baking sheet.  Roast until corn begins to brown, stirring occasionally, about 18 minutes.


While the corn is roasting, dice the tomatoes.


Then, slice the green onion.

Next, slice the basil into thin strips.


Mix the roasted corn with tomatoes, green onion, basil and 2 tablespoons olive oil; season with salt and pepper.   Set aside.



For Chicken:
Flatten the chicken breasts out as well as you can (you can do this with a meat mallet, by putting the chicken between two pieces of saran wrap, but it works just as well if you simply stretch it with your fingers) until they are about 1/2-inch thick.  Pat chicken dry.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then coat with flour.

Melt butter and oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.  Add chicken and saute' until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.

Transfer to plates, top with relish and serve.


Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit, 2005

1 comment:

  1. That looks really good. A nice summery way to fix chicken. I'm thinking I'll be coming back to this page at some point soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!