Thursday, June 16, 2011

Chocolate In-Betweens



This recipe is one of my absolute favorite bar-cookie recipes.  Not only are they delicious, but they have a sentimental value as well.  I can remember my grandmother serving these at family gatherings, and my mom would often make them for special occasions.  I don't know who to give credit to for this recipe; it's just one I copied out of my mom's files years ago.  So, credit will go to both my grandmother and my mom!

Recipe:
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, chilled and cut into pieces
1 cup oats (quick or old fashioned is fine)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate chips this time and they were good)
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)


Preheat oven to 350F.

Put brown sugar and salt into a bowl.  Using a pastry knife, cut in the butter chunks until the mixture is lumpy, but not a perfect ball.


Add flour and oats to mixture.  Use your fingers to combine.

Continue mixing until entire mixture is lumpy, and crumby (not sure if that is even a word, but you know what I mean).


Taste at least a small clump; it's wonderful.


I think I could eat this just by itself and be perfectly content.  In fact, this baked on a cookie sheet would probably be an awesome ice cream topping.  Just a thought....

Press about 2/3 of this mixture into a 9x13-inch pan.  Reserve the remaining crumb mixture.

In a small saucepan, combine the sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips.



Heat over low heat, stirring constantly until chips melt.  Pour over crust in pan.



Sprinkle the remaining crumbs over top.


Bake until lightly browned, 25-30 minutes.  Makes 2 dozen 2-inch squares.  OR, cut them a bit larger and serve warm, with vanilla ice cream.

3 comments:

  1. I have to make these!! And using dark chocolate chips sounds SO good! I saw a sign at the grocery store this week saying Nestle now has dark chocolate chips....but apparently our store only got the sign and not the chips. I'll have to wait til they come in and then I want to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks way too good for me to be reading this blog before 9am. Not fair! I want one now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, now I really want to eat like a whole pan of these. I was just thinking to myself a few minutes ago, "I need to eat some chocolate". Too bad I don't have any at home. But thanks for the reminder of how amazing these are. Maybe I'll magically see them at FF tonight... (if the right person reads this blog post today :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!