Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pound Cake French Toast with Peach Compote



Have you ever felt guilty about eating leftover dessert for breakfast?  Well, this recipe will give you a perfect excuse, because it is dessert transformed into a breakfast food!  The peach compote would also be delicious served over ice cream.

Ingredients:
4 slices leftover pound cake (preferably homemade, of course)
2 eggs
4 tablespoons milk
4 peaches, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
powdered sugar

In a small bowl, combine the sliced peaches, lemon juice and brown sugar.  Let this rest for about 5 minutes, so that it can create some good juices.



Place peach mixture in a medium-sized skillet and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat and simmer for another 10 minutes, until the peaches are warm and the juice is a bit thickened.



Slice the leftover pound cake into 1-inch slices (approximate).



Beat together the eggs and milk.  Dip each slice of cake into the egg mixture, coating both sides.  Handle carefully so the pound cake does not fall apart.



Place coated cake onto griddle and cook over medium-high heat, 2 minutes per side, until golden brown.


 Remove from griddle.  Top with peach compote and sprinkle with powdered sugar.



This recipe will serve two.  If you have more cake leftover, simply use 1 egg and 2 tablespoons of milk per 2 slices of cake and adjust the recipe accordingly.


I'm linking up these blogs this week:

Under the Table and Dreaming
Home Stories A to Z

3 comments:

  1. That looks like some heavy and delicious breakfast! (And I like how you often mention the use of something with ice cream. You are totally a Metzler. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness this looks amazing!! Pound cake as French toast would be so much better than stale French bread. If I hadn't just used up all my peaches I would make that peach compote right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Cow! I have never thought of using pound cake as a breakfast food! I am going to have to try this out ;)

    I am featuring you on SJ today!

    Halsey

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!