And, the inspiration:
Here's how I did it:
hot glue gun and glue sticks
First, I cut the burlap in a curved shape, following the shape of the shade. Because of the slant of the shade, this made the application much easier than simply cutting in a straight line.
Then, starting at the original seam, I sprayed a bit of adhesive spray and then placed the burlap on top, smoothing out the fabric.
I continued spraying, placing and smoothing, until I reached the starting point.
I then cut the excess fabric off right at the top and bottom edges of the shade, so that my trim would lie exactly on the edges.
Next, I folded over the burlap (to hide the cut edge) and using my hot glue gun, placed a thin line of hot glue to hold the end in place.
Using the hot glue gun again, I attached the burlap trim around the top and bottom edges, pressing down after each application so that the trim would be straight.
I allowed it to dry for a few hours before attaching the shades to the bulbs.
The look is perfect for what I wanted and I'm thrilled that I now have a 'new' chandelier for only $6!
I'll be linking this up to these parties this week:
Between Naps on the Porch
Home Stories A to Z
The burlap, trim, glue, and adhesive spray I already had on hand, so my only cost at this time was $6 for the shades.