Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Fettucini Alfredo with Sausage, Peppers, Onions and Tomatoes



Fettucini Alfredo is one of my favorite pasta dishes, but I rarely make it or order it at a restaurant because it's so terribly fattening!  However, I feel that if you make it at home, you know exactly how many calories you're eating, and that makes me feel a bit better about it.  Every now and then, indulging is okay--'everything in moderation', as my mom has always said.

I've added a new feature on this post:  a printable version of the recipe.  This was a suggestion by a sweet friend/reader, and I'm glad she suggested it!  Just click on the words "Printable Version" and you'll be taken to a page of just the recipe and you can print it out and add it to your recipe collection.  Hope this is helpful to those of you who like to have recipes in hand!  I'll be going back through my recipes and doing this to each one, so hang in there--that will be a big project!


Recipe:
Printable Version
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 lb. smoked sausage, grilled
1/2 tomato, diced
olive oil

Alfredo:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup heavy cream or half and half (I used a combination of these)
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

12 ounces Fettucini noodles (approximately, I used a little more than half of a one pound box)

Begin boiling water in a large pot for the noodles.  When water has come to a boil, add noodles and cook according to directions on the box.

While the noodles are cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet.  Add peppers and onions and saute over medium heat until tender, but not mushy, about 5 minutes.  Add chopped tomatoes and continue cooking over low heat for 3 more minutes.


Slice grilled sausage into small chunks.



Meanwhile, in a small saucepan heat butter and cream, until butter has melted.  Remove from heat, add Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.  Stir until cheese has melted.

In a large bowl combine drained noodles, vegetables and sausage.  Pour alfredo sauce on top and toss.


5 comments:

  1. YUMMY! This looks amazingly good......something I will surely have to try...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pasta is always so yummy! This looks like a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh...the printable version is an excellent feature...now if i can just figure out how to do that on my site! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! Might have to save this recipe until after the move :) I like the printable version! That's nice to have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this last night and it was so yummy. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to talk about it on my blog today because I just know I've got friends/family who would love to try it as well.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!