Saturday, February 11, 2012

Frosted Butter Cookies {for Valentine's Day}



This past week Bradley was gone on a skiing trip with some good friends, so the girls and I were alone.  We took an impromptu trip to visit my parents {for my dad's birthday} Saturday - Monday, and then we were home for the rest of the week.  Thankfully, the girls were great while he was gone, and the week went by pretty quickly.   I had a great list of projects to accomplish and didn't even touch any of them!  Sometimes naps are just more important, especially when 29 weeks pregnant.

I had planned to post this recipe yesterday, but we were gone for most of the day picking Bradley up, and then just enjoyed having him home, so I didn't get on the computer.







These cookies are delicious!  I am a sucker for sugar cookies, particularly the ones my mom makes at Christmas time.  These are a bit different, as they are a little thicker, which makes them perfect for icing and decorating.  Add in a few little girls' hands, and you have a great time of cookie decorating {and eating}.

She mostly enjoyed the eating part.

Pretty focused.

Fun activity with friends!

The little chefs' creations

Frosted Butter Cookies

Cookies
1 1/ cups butter {3 sticks}, softened
3/4 cups granulated sugar
3 egg yolks
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla

Frosting
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup {1 stick} butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3-5 tablespoons half-and-half
food coloring

For cookies:
Cream butter and granulated sugar in a large  bowl.  Add egg yolks; beat until light and fluffy.  Add flour, baking powder, and vanilla; beat until well mixed.  Cover.  Refrigerate 2-3 hours, or until firm.

Preheat oven to 350F.  Roll out dough, half at a time to 1/4-inch thickness on well-floured surface.  Cut out with cookie cutters.  Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake 6-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown.  Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

For frosting:
Beat powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and half-and-half in bowl until fluffy.  If desired, divide frosting into small bowls and tint with food coloring.

*For the darker pink I used 30 drops of red food coloring.  For the lighter one, I used 5.  Wilton brand food coloring, made specifically for cake decorating would probably not require as many drops.


source: Old Fashioned Cookies, by Debbie Mumm

5 comments:

  1. These turned out so good! And what a fun activity for the girls! can't wait to see you all in a few days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this - I've been looking for a good V-day cookie we can make on Monday, and since I have ALL the ingredients for this, I have a feeling we've found a winner! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum :) What's in the scones on the counter???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sugar cookies and these look delicious! I love the picture of the girls decorating them...they did such a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe the girls thoroughly enjoyed these cookies!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!