Friday, February 24, 2012

Scalloped Red Potatoes with Rosemary

Before I give you the recipe, I have a quick decorating update:  the girls' room is halfway painted!!  I finally mustered up the energy {plus, I think I'm nesting} yesterday to get to it.  Of the 4 walls in their room, two have vaulted ceilings, so I have to wait for Bradley to be home before tackling those two walls, but the other two are finished, plus I cut in all of the lower trim.  It's coming along!

On to the recipe...

We love potatoes at our house, and I'm always looking for different ways to make them.  Since Easter is coming up in a few weeks, I thought I would try a potato dish that would be a wonderful side to an Easter ham.  These potatoes are perfect for that!  Leaving the red skins on makes it a colorful dish, too.



Scalloped Red Potatoes with Rosemary


5 red potatoes
3 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons butter
salt
pepper
dried rosemary
2 cups milk

Wash the potatoes, and leaving the skins on, thinly slice.  Grease, or butter, a 2 1/2-quart baking dish, then line bottom with a layer of potatoes.  Sprinkle 1 tablespoon flour, salt, pepper, and a dash of rosemary over potatoes.  Dot with 1 tablespoon butter, cut into little pieces.  Repeat layers 2 more times.  Pour milk over top of all.  Bake at 350F for 1 hour.

slice the potatoes thinly

first layer, dotted with butter and seasoned

pre-cooked

finished product

source:  slightly adapted from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook


Linking to:



4 comments:

  1. This looks so pretty with the red skins! And you slice you potatoes so thin and perfectly! And way to go on the progress in the girls' room! I can't wait to see pictures when it's finished! It's going to look so different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great recipe! I would love for you to link it up to my Recipe Party at The Sweet Spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Followed over from The Gunny Sack linky party. This recipe looks delish! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this and it was so super easy, however every bite tasted and smelled like flour. After the second bite I had to throw the rest away. My hubby thought the same but didn't want to hurt my feelings. Next time i will omit a tbls of flour. It turned out so pretty and the potato texture was great, other than the flour.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!