Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chocolate Slice Shortbread Cookies



 My sister recently gave me a new cookbook titled, Around My French Table, and I have thoroughly enjoyed looking through it. Reading cookbooks is a hobby of mine.  In fact, there is often a cookbook or two on my nightstand reading stack.  This cookbook is great because there are hundreds of French recipes, but they are not all complicated.  The author does a great job of giving tips for each recipe on whether or not you can freeze it, various ways to serve the dish, and other little tips to help in the kitchen.



Beware, because I'm going to be sharing many recipes from her book and most of them contain LOTS of butter!




This cookie recipe was one that I flagged upon my first perusal of the book because it combines two of my favorite things in a dessert:  butter and chocolate.  Not only that, but in her little side tip, she suggests serving these cookies as an ice cream sandwich using Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch Ice Cream.  Coffee ice cream just happens to be my favorite flavor, and with a little Heath Magic Shell topping, you have the perfect combination.  These cookies added a nice touch.




Chocolate Slice Shortbread Cookies

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 sticks (10 oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 pound bittersweet chocolate, chopped {optional}

Whisk the flour, cocoa, and salt together.  In a large bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth.  Add sugar and beat until creamy, but not airy.  Mix in the vanilla.  Gradually add the flour mixture until incorporated.  Stir in the chocolate at this point, if using.

Divide the dough in half and roll each piece into a log about 1 3/4 inches in diameter.  Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 350F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  Slice the logs into 1/2-inch thick cookies {or 1/3 inch if you want them thinner} and place on baking sheets.  Bake for 15-18 minutes, rotating sheets at the halfway point.  Cookies should be firm to the touch.  Cool on wire racks.

You can refrigerate the dough for 3 days, or freeze it for up to 2 months.  If freezing, just add a minute or two to the baking time.  


source: Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours, Dorie Greenspan

3 comments:

  1. Ok now I'm defintely craving some chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you like the cookbook! And this looks like a good recipe to start with! The coffee ice cream paired with these cookies sounds amazing! I want to make the Ben & Jerry's coffee heath bar ice cream sometime this summer... mmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that ice cream! Time to bake some of these up to try this pairing...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!