Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Day 24 :: Don't let the grumbles grow

It starts with little thoughts,

Why doesn't anyone else pick up around here?

Can't someone just listen this once?

When am I ever going to get enough rest?

Before we know it those little thoughts escalate into wrong beliefs, generally centered on self,

No one cares about me.

I'm not important.

I'll never be able to make it through this.


Pretty soon we've let a little grumble grow into something that completely ruins our day, negatively affects those around us, and ultimately crushes our spirit. 

A truth driven heart seeks to stop the grumbles.  

"Do all things without grumbling, or disputing" 
Philippians 2:14

Yesterday, I let the grumbles grow.  I walked around the house, quietly feeling sorry for myself and all of the 'trouble' that was coming upon me: sticky floors, broken toys, too many toys, disobedient children, a busy husband...

I neglected to see that my daughters were happily entertaining themselves with games of make believe.  I failed to appreciate the ways that my husband helped to accomplish some household tasks.  I forgot to be thankful.

Instead of joyfully going about my tasks as wife and mother, I grumbled.

At the end of the day I was exhausted, physically, emotionally and spiritually.  

A grumbling spirit will become a crushed spirit.

I don't want my heart to be characterized by grumbling.  Do you?

Don't let the grumbles grow.  




To see a list of other posts in this series go here.


1 comment:

  1. This was perfect for me. This is such a hard thing to do, but something that I really want to work at. Thanks for the encouragement! p.s. your kids are ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!