Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day 3 :: Dealing with the Hard Stuff

Hard stuff happens.   

The Bible addresses hard stuff countless times.  James calls hard stuff trials, "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds" {James 1:2}.

Count it joy.  This is a tough one!  It's easy to count that good stuff joy, but trials?  What would make me crazy enough to think that is a good idea?  I really have to count it joy that my son has Down Syndrome?  It was a challenge for me to find any joy in this.  I sure didn't feel like rejoicing.  I only felt like crying.  

But, the verse doesn't end at this.  We're given a reason for why we can count it joy.  

"...for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing" {James 1:3-4}

We can count hard stuff joy because going through hard stuff, with Jesus, is meant to make us more like Him.  

As I walked through the days and weeks after Mason was born.  I began to see that my faith was tested.  I came to realize that I was okay with Down Syndrome.  I learned that I wasn't given a bad thing.  And, as I grew in these ways, I began to see that God was changing my heart.  

The testing was producing and I knew that God was using this to bring me closer to Him.  

That is joy.  HE is joy.  


You have hard stuff, too.  How are you going to deal with it?  



Go here for a great article about choosing joy and a free printable.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren,

    I like to randomly follow you on your blog and want you to know that I love seeing how you manage to decorate your home on a budget. Your most recent posts about your son have touched my heart, thank you for being so open and willing to talk about your journey of faith. I also wanted to pass along another blogger's site http://nataliefalls.com/2012/a-lost-and-found-dream/ who has gone through the same experiences you are going through in hopes that she can encourage you. Her sister attends our church and I just love her perspective of raising her family. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!