Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 4 :: The Truth and our Time

Source: via Lindsay on Pinterest


If we're going to talk about a truth driven heart, we have to talk about our time.

Time is precious.  There are countless things that pull us each day, stealing those minutes we hold so dear.  Seasons of life bring changes in the way our time looks in a given day.

Regardless of the season of life, every day will always have 24 hours.

Having a heart driven by the truth means that some of those 24 hours must be spent in the truth.  This means opening up the Word of God and reading it.

source
In the Old Testament, the kings of Israel were required to write a copy of the law of God, and then Deuteronomy goes on to say,

"And it [the law] shall be with him, and he shall read in it all the days of his life, that he may learn to fear the LORD his God by keeping all the words of this law and these statutes, and doing them, that his heart may not be lifted up above his brothers, and that he may not turn aside from the commandment, either to the right hand or to the left."  {Deuteronomy 17:19-20}.

I'm pretty sure the Kings of Israel were busy.  But, God gave them a command, even in the midst of their busyness, that gave priority to His Word.  He knew that by reading the law, the heart of the king would be driven in God's ways.

Devotional books are helpful, Christian living books have a lot to offer, blog posts centered on the Word of God talk about truth.  However, nothing should take the place of actually opening up the Bible and spending time reading what God has to say.  {In fact, I don't want you to read this series if you haven't first spent time reading God's Word}.

The days following Mason's birth were rough.  Sleep was hit or miss, as it always is with a newborn, and emotionally I was worn out.  But, I found that the most important thing for me to do to walk through all of that was to spend time in the truth.  As the truth flooded my heart my faith increased and I was able to face a hard time with confidence and peace in God.

Let's not be deceived into thinking that somehow we can put aside God's Word during busy seasons of life.  Make it a priority.  For me, that means getting up a lot earlier than the rest of my family so that I have time in the Word.  It might look differently for you, but it must happen in every season of life if we want to have a truth driven heart.


My friend Mary Beth touched on this same issue yesterday during her 31 Days series.

3 comments:

  1. Lauren I LOVE reading your blog everyday. I loved todays bc I know there are so many devo books out there and I can hear God's quiet voice say "just read MY words". Thank you for sharing your heart. I think when you are done rhis 31 day blog you must get it published! You are a true treasure. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good! I am often guilty of letting the busyness crowd out my time in the Word. I've been working on being more disciplined to have my quiet time even though I'm tired, busy, running late, etc. I can tell a difference in my day when I do, because I'm thinking on the truth that I've read throughout my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Lauren and praise God for His work in your heart and life! I appreciate your sharing of personal hardship and speaking in truth on your blog. I've been off the internet lately but heard Kathie commenting about these posts to your mom and now I'm reading through them and enjoying the challenges you present to spend time in the Word in every season and to "count it all joy". I'm thankful for your family's testimony to the greatness and steadfastness of our awesome God. To HIM be the glory.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!