Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Few Book Highlights

We're less than two months away from the end of 2012, which means I better get working on my book list!  I've only tackled a little bit from this pile that I shared with you in January, but I added a few more along the way.  This is what I've been reading.


1. Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected--A Memoir , by Kelle Hampton, is a memoir of her journey through having a child with Down Syndrome.  Kelle's second daughter was born with Down Syndrome and this book is an excellent window into a mother's heart.  I sobbed my way through this book, but it was very healing for me as I handled the raw emotions of having a son with Down Syndrome.  Kelle also writes the blog, Enjoying the Small Things.

2. One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are , by Ann Voskamp.  I've mentioned this book before, and it is a wonderful read.  A new DVD series based on this book will be released December 2, which will be an excellent companion to this book.

3. Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions , by Lysa TerKeurst.  I bought this book when I read a review by Ann Voskamp, and really enjoyed it.  It took me awhile to get into it, but after the first couple of chapters, she really started pulling out more Scripture and I found it helpful as I struggle with coming 'unglued' in my day-to-day life.

4. The Envy of Eve: Finding Contentment in a Covetous World , by Melissa Kruger, also one I've mentioned on my blog.  I have one chapter left to read, but it is an excellent book.  She talks about coveting and finding contentment.  It's amazing how I realized the things I covet, not just stuff, but coveting within relationships, circumstances, and getting at the root of coveting.  This is excellent to read on your own, or with a group, as there are discussion questions at the end of each chapter.

I'm trying to work my way through some of the ones that were on my original list, and we'll see how far I make it in the next two months.

What have you been reading?

*I am an Amazon Associate, so if you'd like to purchase any of these books, simply click on the title, and it will take you directly to Amazon.  I receive a small compensation for any books purchased through my affiliate account.  Thanks for any purchases! * 

4 comments:

  1. This is my favorite book this year. I really think I should read it monthly :)
    http://www.amazon.com/An-Experimental-Mutiny-Against-Excess/dp/1433672960/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352405860&sr=8-2&keywords=seven

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite book this year is Seven: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved 7 too! Thanks for these recommendations. I'm looking forward to reading The Envy of Eve.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!