Thursday, May 22, 2014

From the Kitchen :: Strawberry Ice Cream



My laptop is sadly broken, and with it are all of my pictures.  We can hopefully recover them, but it's been a little busy around here with getting ready to move in just two weeks.  I did want to quickly share this recipe with you, though, because it would be a perfect addition to any Memorial Day festivities that might be going on this weekend.  And, it's strawberry season, so berries are ripe, sweet, and on sale :)

Strawberry Ice Cream

1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups half and half
4 cups strawberries, hulled

Stir whole milk and sugar in medium saucepan over medium heat.  Heat until hot, but not boiling.

In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks for about 2 minutes, until they turn a lighter yellow.

Spoon a ladle full of the milk/sugar mixture into the egg yolks and whisk together.  Add another ladle full and whisk again.  (This keeps the eggs from cooking and looking scrambled).

Pour the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan with the remaining milk mixture and cook for about 4 minutes, until thickened slightly.  Pour into a bowl and add the half and half, stirring to combine.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Puree the strawberries to desired consistency (I like to leave a few little chunks).  Mix the strawberries in with the cream mixture.  Place in your ice cream maker and follow the directions to make ice cream.  You can freeze this when it's finished, but it's best eaten right away.

source:  slightly adapted from Pioneer Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!