Wednesday, July 30, 2014

What I Learned :: June/July Edition




I take a lot of pictures of feet.  This is what my husband told me when looking through my Instagram photos one day.  I told him he just didn't get it.  Also, those sandals were only $17 at Target, thanks to a tip from my sister.  She says they look just like some of Steve Madden's.

Steve Madden is a designer.  I had to google him after finding out about the look-alike at Target.  {see above}.

Dolly Parton wears wigs. I overheard this on a TV while shopping in Target.  I haven't verified the accuracy, but it makes sense.  I always wondered how her hair looked perfect all.the.time.

You can live without a bed for 12 days and survive.  This, and some other things about how God showed me that I love my stuff too much, written up in a blog post a few weeks ago.  You can read it here.


No matter how old I get, there are still days when I just want my mom and dad.  Life changes do that to me, like having a baby and moving.  There have been many days since we moved to Florida that I would love to be with my parents, sitting in their living room drinking coffee and chatting.

Having a GPS on your phone doesn't mean you won't get lost.  Navigating my way around our new town has been a challenge for me.  Everything is so spread out.  When we lived on the West Coast it was easy for me to tell directions because I could just look for the water.  For some reason the water of the Gulf Coast has me all confused.  I make a lot of u-turns and try not to get frustrated when running errands takes twice as long.

Making friends as an adult is just as hard as it was in middle and high school.  I get all nervous, spending way too much time thinking about what to wear assuming that somehow that is what will make people like me, and then I chicken out and won't even ask for someone's phone number because of the insecurity that I feel.  Please, tell me I'm not the only woman in my 30's who still struggles with this!!

Apparently I slam on the brakes.  A lot.  When stopping at a light the other day, Isabella said to me, "Mommy, why do you always do that?"  I don't really think I have a problem with this, but maybe it has to do with the u-turns and getting lost {see above}.



There is a man here in Pensacola who fishes seven days a week, 14 hours a day, in the same spot, and earns a living of about $75K a year.  That's pretty amazing.  He loves his job.  And people who visit the Gulf Coast must really love to eat fish.

 H&M has some amazing prices on kids' clothing.  I ordered some dresses for Isabella the other day, and we're eagerly awaiting their arrival.  How did I never know about this store before now??

The average piano weighs 600 pounds.  I know this because we were exactly 600 pounds overweight on our recent move and Bradley thought was certain it was because of the piano.  I'm sure it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that we purchased bedroom furniture since our last move...


My kids are pretty incredible.  I already knew this, but had to include it here.  They've put up with a lot of change, busy parents, no friends, traveling in the car, strange schedules, etc., and they have handled everything beautifully.  Yes, we've had our share of tears, bad attitudes, grumbling, and disobedience.  But they truly are flexible and adaptable.  God is good and has showered us with countless blessings, four of which are our precious children.

What have you learned this summer?? I'd love for you to share!

Linking up with Chatting at the Sky


1 comment:

  1. I thought I'd click through some of the "what I learned" posts today! :) I'm so glad I clicked on yours.

    I take pictures of everything...especially feet!

    I didn't know Steve Madden was a designers...I thought he was an athlete or rock star or something. lol!

    Missing your parents IS super hard. I don't think it ever gets any easier, either.

    That fishing guy...WOW! I didn't realize that people actually made a living doing that in the states these days. I hope he loves it!

    Thanks for sharing what you learned! Now I'm off to click around your blog a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!