Friday, August 15, 2014

Snack for School :: Cheese Crackers



I remember my Mom making these things we called 'cheese straws' when I was a little girl.  I don't know how often we had them, not regularly for sure, but I distinctly remember always eating them while drinking Coke.   And maybe during football season?  There were certain snack foods for specific occasions:  teenie weenie hot dogs and nacho cheese dip when we decorated the Christmas tree each year, Ranch flavored Oyster crackers in the winter, while working on puzzles, and cheese straws....I can't remember when we ate this, but I loved them.

I came across a recipe called "Cheez-It -ish Crackers".  My kids love those square shaped cheese crackers, and since I'm on a kick to find homemade snacks, this was a perfect one to try.  These are great crackers to make because you can freeze the dough, slice and bake.  Simple and delicious--always a perfect combination.  And, they're great for adults and kids alike. These are a little different from the ones my Mom made years ago, but still delicious.  A few of these little crackers along with some grapes or an apple will be a perfect snack for Isabella come next week!!

Cheese Crackers

8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cut into 16 pieces
1/4 pound grated cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Using a pastry knife, blend butter and cheese together with salt in a medium mixing bowl.  Add flours and continue to blend until it comes together.  Turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface, and knead it gently together.

Divide the dough into three parts, roll each into a log and wrap with plastic wrap.  Refrigerate for at least 3 hours -- or freeze them--, then slice into rounds 1/4-inch thick.  Place rounds on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake at 350F for 14-17 minutes.

Store in an airtight container for up to one week.

*This can also be done in a food processor.  Pulse the butter, cheese and salt until the mixture forms small curds.  Add flour and pulse until the dough forms moist curds again, larger this time.  Continue as directed above.*

source:  slightly adapted from, Around my French Table, Dorie Greenspan

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to get your feedback on any post! Comments make my day, and I will do my best to get back with you as soon as I can. Thanks!